On the Protection of Children from Information Harmful to Their Health and Development and Other Legislative Acts of the Russian Federation
(1) Positioned as means for the protection of children from harmful content that contains information about drug usage, advocates suicide or describes suicide methods, or contain child pornography, the law created a unified register of web sites that contain such information. The register is administered by the Federal Service for Supervision in the Sphere of Telecom, Information Technologies and Mass Communications (Roscomnadzor). The law introduced a blocking mechanism of such sites (by adding a new article 15.1 to the Law “On Information, Information Technologies and Protection of Information”):
- Upon identifying a site with illegal content, Roskomnadzor informs the website's owner and a respective hosting provider;
- If the content is not removed within three days, the website is then added to the register, which triggers a requirement for all Russian telecom operators to block an access to it;
- The law also sets forth a procedure for reinstating access to a site that later complied with Roscomnadzor’s request and removed illegal content.
(2) Later, Federal Law No. 398-FZ “On Amending the Federal Law “On Information, Information Technologies and Information Protection” of December 28, 2013 introduced a somewhat similar blocking algorithm in relation to sites with information containing calls for mass riots or extremist activities.
(3) As of today, the enforcement of these laws has demonstrated that they have extraterritorial reach and are applied both to local and foreign web sites.
Topic, claim, or defense
Child Protection (Includes Child Pornography)
Obscenity or Morality
Dangerous Speech/Violent Extremism
Type of service provider
Host (Including Social Networks)
Web Host (Technical Hosting)
Internet Access Provider (Including Mobile)
Trigger for OSP obligations
OSP obligation considered
Block or Remove
Type of law
General effect on immunity
General intermediary liability model
Takedown/Act Upon Knowledge (Includes Notice and Takedown)